1) Select 2 of your personal care products (cosmetics, shampoo, deodorant, mouthwash, etc.) and look
them up in the Safe Cosmetics Database: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ (Links to an external site.) Post your findings on your BLOG under the category Products. Tell us what products you looked up, what you found about the health risks, and how you responded to this new knowledge. If they don't have your first product choose another and keep choosing until you find one for which they have information.
them up in the Safe Cosmetics Database: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ (Links to an external site.) Post your findings on your BLOG under the category Products. Tell us what products you looked up, what you found about the health risks, and how you responded to this new knowledge. If they don't have your first product choose another and keep choosing until you find one for which they have information.
The first product that I looked up is my favorite facial wash by Clean & Clear
When I looked it up it kind of scared me because of the high concerns list. According to the Safe Cosmetics Database, there were 3 ingredients found in the face wash that are of very high concern, which are:
These ingredients found in the face wash also caused me to be concerned:
After seeing the facts on this product, I know not to use this product when I get pregnant because of the effects it could have on a fetus due to developmental and reproductive toxicity. Also the fact that this product effect the Endocrine system was unsettling. It was given an overall grade of an 8, which is a high hazard product. Now that I know this information, I am unsure whether or not I want to use the face wash.
**********************************************************************************
The second product that I looked up is Palmer's Cocoa Butter, which is one of my favorite products just because it helps with my dry skin.
When I saw the areas of concerns, it was not as bad as my face wash but still the risk of contamination and organ system toxicity causes reason for concern.
The ingredient of highest concern is Methylisothiazolinone, which is rated a 7 because of its ability to produce allergies/immunotoxicity, irritation and neurotoxicity. Petrolatum is ingredient that had a 4, which worries me since the main concern with that ingredient is organ system toxicity and contamination concerns. Phenoxyethanol is another ingredient that got a 4, which could cause irritation and organ system toxicity as well as allergies/immunotoxicity. This product had an overall 4 rating, which is a moderate hazard.
**********************************************************************************
**********************************************************************************
After seeing the facts on the Palmer's Cocoa Butter, I realized that is not that bad compared to my Clean & Clear Face Wash. After finding out about two of the products I use on a normal basis, I feel that I am going to find more toxins as I look into more of my favorite products. Honestly, I am afraid to look at other products because I might not want to use them anymore even though they have been effective until now. So now I have an ethical dilemma, regarding my own health and the products that I use.
It is scary to think that products I use everyday could be poisoning me and that I am using them. Then I ask the question, how is this legal? With the recent news about the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banning anti-bacterial soap with triclosan and triclocarban, I was wondering why some of these other chemical are also being allowed to be used on the market if there is enough evidence to believe they might prove dangerous. Are the chemicals in my favorite things doing me more harm than good? It seems they have the potential to be harmful.
It is scary to think that products I use everyday could be poisoning me and that I am using them. Then I ask the question, how is this legal? With the recent news about the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banning anti-bacterial soap with triclosan and triclocarban, I was wondering why some of these other chemical are also being allowed to be used on the market if there is enough evidence to believe they might prove dangerous. Are the chemicals in my favorite things doing me more harm than good? It seems they have the potential to be harmful.






For lack of a better phrase, WTF?! It is crazy to think of that lotion, that is supposed to do so much good (and oooooh the good that it does to my dry skin as well) can do so much wrong to the body. To think that this is a product that I put all over to keep me from scratching away at myself and yet there it is causing major effects to my health. I always find it interesting to think of that which the body absorbs that I could be preventing-like lotion for example. It is so hard to find a product that works for "you;" one that makes you feel good, that doesn't dry out your skin, that doesn't leave a smell if you sweat all day long because for some reason you naturally run at 100 (story of my life). It is really hard to find products that just work, and so I always wonder about the buy-in for new products primarily because of the amount of work that it takes to invest in something new. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in looking for new products. In finding new ways to care for yourself...without damaging yourself in the long run. I'm ready to swap stories!!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with Miguel. It's so frustrating when you know that you were doing more bad than good all these years. I use a clean and clear acne product too and after reading your blog, I looked it in the database and found that it's one of the most toxic personal care products I have at home. I am extremely frustrated with the misleading labeling and advertisements on the so-called organic products. As long as FDA allows the Companies and individuals who manufacture or market cosmetics to take up legal responsibility about the safety of their products, this will continue. Why isn't there any law that requires cosmetic companies to share their safety information with FDA??
Delete